Sunday, March 3, 2013

My First 5K Race!!!

Today was a truly amazing day for me! A few of my girlfriends talked me into doing the Seattle Hot Chocolate 5K Race.  I've never done anything like this before, and the added incentive of getting a big cup of hot chocolate and fondu at the end of the race sounded very tempting to me!  I signed up a month and a half ago with every intention of training for the race.  You know how it goes, life and kids got in the way, and I only ended up on the treadmill one time!!  About a week ago I was really regretting my decision to sign up.  The lack of training, coupled with the fact I would have to wake up at 4:15am was really giving me doubts.  Luckily for me, the race did not give refunds, so I was stuck! 

I owe so much thanks to my good friends Bekki & Erica for all their encouragement and support to do this race.  Without them I would have been a mess!  I finished my 5K in 38 minutes, 13 seconds.  For trained runners, this is nothing to brag about, but I am truly proud of myself.  I ran 90% of the race, and can't put into words the accomplishment and exhilaration I felt crossing that finish line.  I'm officially addicted to marathons, and have plans to sign up for the Race for the Cure in June and possible a Mother's Day Race!  I think I've found a new hobby!!  Derek is excited to start training too so he can do the next race with me :)

Here are some pictures from my day!

Me, Erica, & Bekki about to start the race!!!
The run was beautiful, ending at the Space Needle
After the race, enjoying our chocolate!!!
My Cheerleader!
This was such a great experience.  I am looking forward to many more races!

No comments:

Post a Comment